FREQUENCY OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION IN SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATO SUSSUDANESE PATIENTS

Full Article - PDF

Published: 2015-05-20

Page: 47-52


ASMAA M. A. AKECK

Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Faculty of Medical Laboratory Science, Alzaeim Alazhari University, Sudan

SANNAA M. A. OSMAN

Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Faculty of Medical Laboratory Science, Alzaeim Alazhari University, Sudan

ELTAYIB HASSAN AHMED-ABAKUR *

Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Faculty of Medical Laboratory Science, Alzaeim Alazhari University, Sudan and Department of Microbiology & Immunology, Faculty of Dentistry and Oral Medicine, Alasmarya University, Libya

*Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.


Abstract

Infections are one of the main causes of morbidity and mortality in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. The present study was aimed to detect the urinary tract infection among systemic lupus erythematosus patients in Khartoum state, Sudan and to determine the relation between duration of the SLE disease, type of treatment and development of urinary tract infection.

Methods: Early morning midstream urine (MSU) for microbiological examination was collected from study population and inoculated into CLED agar, colonial morphology, Gram stain, biochemical reactions were used to identify the isolates.

Result: total of one hundred patients was agreed to participate in this study, their age ranging from 13 to 56 years with mean age 35 years. The majority of study population was females 92(92%). Forty samples 40(40%) showed significant growth while the remaining 60(60%) samples showed insignificant or no growth. One male (12.5%) had UTI, whereas 39 (42%) females had UTI. E. coli was the most common causative agent 8(20%) among LSE patients, followed by S. fecalis 7 (17.5%), the statistical analysis showed insignificant relation between duration of the SLE,  type of treatment and the development of UTI infection as indicated by  P  value 0.056 and 0.689 respectively.

 

Keywords: Frequency, urinary tract infection, lupus, E. coli


How to Cite

AKECK, A. M. A., OSMAN, S. M. A., & AHMED-ABAKUR, E. H. (2015). FREQUENCY OF URINARY TRACT INFECTION IN SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATO SUSSUDANESE PATIENTS. Journal of International Research in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4(2), 47–52. Retrieved from https://ikprress.org/index.php/JIRMEPS/article/view/1216

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.