HAEMOPOIETIC POTENTIALS OF CRUDE METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF Apium graveolens LEAVES IN WISTAR RATS

Full Article - PDF

Published: 2015-10-27

Page: 121-125


A. UFELLE SILAS *

Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, Nigeria

O. UKAEJIOFO ERNEST

Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, Nigeria

U. ACHUKWU PETER

Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, Nigeria

GHASI SAMUEL

Dapartment of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, Nigeria

*Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.


Abstract

This research was designed to investigate the haemopoietic potentials of Apium graveolens leaves extract in Wistar rats.Wistar rats (n=24), grouped into 4 (A-D) of 6 rats per group were used in this study. Group A orally received only water and feed ad libitum and served as control. Groups B, C and D were orally administered with graded-doses of the extract (B=5, C=10, and D=20 mg/kg b.wt) for 14 days. Blood samples were collected from each rat on days 7 and 14 through retro-orbital puncture for haematological analysis. On day 7, group C revealed significant increase in Haemoglobin (Hb) (12.5±0.8 g/dl), Haematocrit (Hct): (38±2%), Red Blood Cell (RBC): (5.82±0.43 x1012/l), Total White Blood Cell (TWBC): (5.4±0.3 x109/l) and group D revealed significant increase in Hb: (13.1±1 g/dl), Hct: (40±1%), RBC: (6.04±0.33 x1012/l), TWBC: (6.2±0.4 x109/l) when compared with the control, Hb: (11.6±2 g/dl), Hct: (34±3%), RBC: (5.05±1.04 x1012/l), TWBC: (4.7±1 x109/l), (p≤0.05). On day 14, group B revealed significant increase in TWBC: (5.3±0.81 x109/l), group C revealed significant increase in Hb: (12.9±1 g/dl), Hct: (40±2%), RBC: (6.01±0.4 x1012/l), TWBC: (5.9±0.5 x109/l) and group D revealed significant increase in Hb: (13.4±0.45 g/dl), Hct: (42±2%), RBC: (6.09±0.3 x1012/l), TWBC: (6.5±0.8 x109/l) when compared with the control, (p≤0.05). The observed effects were dose and time dependent. This suggests that the extract may possess haematopoietic properties when orally administered to Wistar rats.

Keywords: Apium graveolens, dosage-dependent, graded-doses, haemopoiesis, oral administration


How to Cite

SILAS, A. U., ERNEST, O. U., PETER, U. A., & SAMUEL, G. (2015). HAEMOPOIETIC POTENTIALS OF CRUDE METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF Apium graveolens LEAVES IN WISTAR RATS. Journal of International Research in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 6(3), 121–125. Retrieved from https://ikprress.org/index.php/JIRMEPS/article/view/1624

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.