MOLECULAR VERIFICATION OF SPECIES IDENTITY OF SOME ISOLATES OF THE GENUS Fusarium DEPOSITED IN THE PHYTOPATHOGEN COLLECTION IN UZBEKISTAN

Main Article Content

A. G. SHERIMBETOV
B. SH. ADILOV
Z. N. KADIROVA
T. X. MAKHMUDOV
A. B. MAMBETNAZAROV
D. R. RUZMETOV
U. X. YULDASHOV
E. Y. KARIMOV

Abstract

Traditional fungal taxonomy has been based on morphological characteristics, but identification of the species level of some fungal strains belonging to the genus Fusarium using classical methods is difficult and it has limitations in terms of sensitivity and specificity.

The main purpose of this study was molecular genetic verification of the species identity of some Fusarium isolates deposited in the phytopathogen collection in Uzbekistan.   

The β‐tubulin-sequence based verification of species identity of 11 Fusarium isolates deposited in the phytopathogen collection in Uzbekistan confirmed initial morphological species identification of 8 strains (73%), while species identity of remaining 3 strains (27%) has been corrected.

These results establish a molecular framework for further efforts to validate species identity of a fungal isolates in a fungal germplasm culture collection in Uzbekistan and other Central Asia countries.

Keywords:
Phytopathogen, genus, Fusarium, DNA, PCR, plant.

Article Details

How to Cite
SHERIMBETOV, A. G., ADILOV, B. S., KADIROVA, Z. N., MAKHMUDOV, T. X., MAMBETNAZAROV, A. B., RUZMETOV, D. R., YULDASHOV, U. X., & KARIMOV, E. Y. (2020). MOLECULAR VERIFICATION OF SPECIES IDENTITY OF SOME ISOLATES OF THE GENUS Fusarium DEPOSITED IN THE PHYTOPATHOGEN COLLECTION IN UZBEKISTAN. PLANT CELL BIOTECHNOLOGY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY, 21(71-72), 94-98. Retrieved from https://ikprress.org/index.php/PCBMB/article/view/5769
Section
Short Research Article

References

Gordon, Thomas R. Fusarium oxysporum and the Fusarium wilt syndrome. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 2017;55:23–39.

Egamberdieva D, Jabborova D, Hashem A. Pseudomonas induces salinity tolerance in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) and resistance to Fusarium root rot through the modulation of indole-3-acetic acid. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. 2015;2:17-22.

Jabborova D, Egamberdieva D. Evaluation of root associated bacteria for control of cotton root rot caused by Fusarium oxysporum in salinated soils. Journal of the Institute of Science and Technology. 2011; 1:37-42.

Nur Ain Izzati MZ, Mohd Aizat Z, Siti Nordahliawate MS, Mat Rasid I. Morphological and genetic variabilities of Fusarium species isolated from Kenaf, Malaysian Applied Biology. 2014;43(1): 13-21.

Leslie JF, Summerell BA. The Fusarium laboratory manual. Blackwell Publishing Ltd., Oxford, U.K.; 2006.

Gavrilova O, Skritnika A, Gagkaeva T. Identification and characterization of spontaneous auxotrophic mutants in Fusarium langsethiae. Microorganisms. 2017;5:14.

McCartney HA, Foster SJ, Fraaije BA, Ward E. Molecular diagnostics for fungal plant pathogens. Pest Manag Sci. 2003; 59:129–142.

Tooley PW, Goley ED, Carras MM, Frederick RD, Weber YEL. Characterization of Claviceps species pathogenic on sorghum by sequence analysis of the β-tubulin gene intron 3 region and EF-1α gene intron 4. Mycologia. 2001;93:541-551

Janse van Rensburg B, Flett BC, Mc Laren NW, Mc Donald AH. Variation in the identification of Fusarium spp. in maize samples due to enumerator and growth medium. South African Journal of Plant and Soil. 2008;25(2):105-110.

Darissa O, Adam G, Schäfer W. A dsRNA mycovirus causes hypovirulence of Fusarium graminearum to wheat and maize. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 2012;134:181–189.

Mohsen Nosratabadi, Reza Kachuei, Sassan Rezaie, Asghar Beigi Harchegani. Beta-tubulin gene in the differentiation of Fusarium species by PCR-RFLP analysis. Infez Med. 2018;26(1):52-60.

Rahjoo V, Zad J, Javan-Nikkhah M, Mirzadi-Gohari A, Okhovvat SM, Bihamta MR, Razzaghian J, Klemsdal SS. Morphological and molecular identification of Fusarium isolated from maize ears in Iran. Journal of Plant Pathology. 2008; 90(3):463-468.

Raja HA, Miller AN, Pearce CJ, Oberlies NH. Fungal identification using molecular tools: A primer for the natural products research community. Journal of Natural Products. 2017;80(3):756-770.

Singha MI, Kakoty Y, Unni GB, Das J, Kalita CM. Identification and characterization of Fusarium sp. using ITS and RAPD causing Fusarium wilt of tomato isolated from Assam, North East India. Journal of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology. 2016;14:99-105.

Karlsson I, Edel-Hermann V, Gautheron N, Durling MB, Kolseth AK, Steinberg C, Persson P, Friberg H. Genus-specific primers for study of Fusarium communities in field samples. Appl Environ Microb. 2016;82(2):491–501.

Gullino ML, Gilardi G, Garibaldi A. Effect of a climate change scenario on Fusarium equiseti leaf spot on wild rocket and radish under phytotron simulation. Phytoparasitica. 2017;45:293-298.